Skip to main content

I am a F1 visa student. I was charged with domestic violence. If I plea guilty. will I be deported?

East Lansing, MI |
Attorney answers 5


You must avoid pleading guilty. Doing so might, and in all likelihood will, make you "deportable", for a crime of domestic violence will be construed as a "crime of violence", especially with the injury you allegedly inflicted. Get yourself the best criminal defense attorney money can buy (often it's not as much as you think) or else get ready for a long, painful, months long detention in an immigration detention center (after the state is done with you) and be psychologically ready to kiss the USA goodbye for ever! Is that what you want? I didn't think so. Oh, and don't you even think of using the services of a "public defender" that the court will want to appoint. Those, while (sometimes) good attorneys are literally swamped with work and cases and, as a result, can only allocate a few minutes to each "free" case and will always ask you to "make a deal" with the prosecution, which will later cost you dearly!

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


If you are convicted you will most likely have to see an immigration judge. A plea to disorderly conduct would be better. You should hire two lawyers now if you wish to remain in the US -a criminal defense attorney and an immigration attorney.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.


I agree. This is complicated. hey carefully handled criminal case may be the only way to avoid detention and deportation.

I strongly recommend an appointment or teleconference with a competent and experienced immigration attorney will take the time to ask enough questions, do enough research, and explain the law to your satisfaction. Good luck.

This is general information, not legal advice, and does not create an attorney client relationship.


It is possible. Now is definitely the time to consult with both a criminal defense and immigration attorney. In Michigan, it will depend on what you are being charged with. Get certified copies of the incident report and the court register of actions for any arrests and charges you've ever had, including this one, and bring them to an appointment with an attorney as soon as possible!

*This is not intended as legal advice. Individuals should consult an attorney to review individual circumstances of their case.


I agree hire the BEST Criminal Defense Attorney money can buy. Resolving the criminal portion will save you the nightmare of possibly facing removal. Good Luck!