Skip to main content

I am a an LPR. I want to bring my wife and 2 children to the US and apply for their residency. They are UK citizens.

Orlando, FL |

I am a permanent resident. My Dad is a US citizen. My wife and 2 children are not US residents, and live in the UK. I have previously been travelling to the UK to visit them, and they have been travelling to the US under the US/UK visa waiver program as visitors. My Dad is old and very unwell and needs constant care, so I cannot travel to the UK regularly to see my family. I am thinking of applying for their US residency using forms I-130 and I-485 the next time they are in the US. I know that I should wait at least 60 days from when they enter the US before filing these forms, but am worried that if they were to remain in the US after 90 days, they will lose visitor status, but if they leave the US, they may not be allowed back in whilst the applications are being processed. Please advise

+ Read More

Attorney answers 9


You need to speak to an attorney with immigration and family law experience. Good luck.

This information is a general answer and is not specific to any particular case. Carin Manders Constantine, Esq. 727-456-0032/ 727-488-8272


You need to establish a good working and legally appropriate plan by meeting with a licensed immigration counsel of your choice in person.

DISCLAIMER The answer given above by the lawyer serves for educational purposes only and provides general information and a basic understanding of the applicable law. Take notice that the answer above does not create an attorney-client relationship as this website is not intended to provide anyone a specific legal advice. Anyone using the site expressly consents that there is no attorney client privilege between any person and any attorney responding. Further take notice that the site should not be used as a crude substitute for any professional and competent legal advice by a licensed professional attorney in the applicable jurisdiction. The attorney above attempted to provide competent professional opinion, however, the law and its applications may change frequently and vary greatly from other U.S. jurisdictions and locales. Therefore, any information and opinions stated above are general in nature, and may not apply to specific factual or legal circumstances related to one's current legal issues. Contact an experienced lawyer admitted to practice in your State under an attorney-client privilege to further receive a comprehensive legal before making an educated decision about your particular legal issue. If you have further inquiries you may contact: Attorney Alexander Ivakhnenko 1021 West Adams, 102, Chicago, Illinois 60607 773-562-8602


I would recommend you meet with an immigration attorney to discuss.

You should consult an attorney for advice regarding your individual situation since every case is different and not all information is relayed in an online question. The Law Office of Ophelia Bernal-Mora, P.A. is a family law firm located in Orlando, Florida, we invite you to contact us and welcome your calls at 407-354-5223. Contacting us does not create an attorney-client relationship. Please do not send any confidential information to us until such time as an attorney-client relationship has been established.


You need to speak to an immigration attorney about your options. Just because you can file the I-485 does not mean they will stay in lawful status.

Alexus P. Sham (917) 498-9009. The above information is only general in nature and does not constitute legal advice. It does not create an attorney-client relationship.


The process you describe is problematic for several reasons: restrictions on adjustment of status for VWP entrants, possible misrepresentation implications, issues related to processing times for the petition. Contact an attorney by phone or Skype for a confidential consultation and do not put your family at risk.

Immigration Attorney Jeff Khurgel* Assists Clients in all 50 States -- Call or email for a Consultation -- -- Contact information below. Kindly note that this posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Remember, this site is akin to an internet blog. Do not rely on information here to make important decisions in your life. Make an appointment to meet with a licensed attorney in his or her office (or via Skype or phone) to obtain competent personal and professional guidance -- Khurgel Immigration Law Firm -- 4199 Campus Drive, Suite 550 / Irvine, CA 92612 / Office: (949) 509-6515 / Direct: (949) 535-6331 / Web: / Email: / *Attorney Khurgel is a former USCIS and Department of State Embassy Officer.


Sir, you asked the same question yesterday. Asking it again today, in a different way, will not get you a different answer. There are many problems with the plan you propose, including, for example, the fact that individuals who enter the US via the Visa Waiver Program are generally barred from adjusting status in the United States. This forum cannot, for legal and ethical reasons, offer you case-specific advice. Nor is the forum a substitute for attorney representation. You have a complicated case on your hands, and you should hire an attorney to handle it for you if you.


If your family enters the US with the pre conceived intent to obtain permanent resident status that is an improper use of the tourist visa and may cause serious issues for your family.


As a LPR, you are eligible to file for the I-130 immediately. After the I-130 is filed, and you receive a receipt for the filing from the USCIS, you can file for K-3 visas for your wife and children. If you get the K3 visas before the I-130s, then you have both applications running at the same time. Which ever one is issued first, will enable them to come in to the country. If the K3 comes out first, then bring the family here and when the I-130 issues, you can file to adjust their status from K3 immigrant status.

You can me in Miami, FL. I'd be happy to help you file these applications.

Arthur Spiegel

Arthur Spiegel


My office phone number is 305-752-0044.


This is a very complicated area of practice. Timimg is everything in getting a good outcome in this case.
It is best to seek an in office consultation with an attorney where all matters can be discussed.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer