Skip to main content

I am a 19 year old freshman in college . my adoptive parents will NOT put their tax transcript on my financial aid. HELP

Cumming, GA |

I was considering getting emancipated. I do not know what else to do. I can not go in as an independent student until I am 24 , married, with child, or in the us army. I do not know what else I can do. I am really looking forward to my education but my adoptive parents will not comply with anything when it comes to my success. I was also looking at terminating the adoption.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Since you are over 18, I believe you are stuck between a rock and a hard place. However, as these issues are specific to state law, you should consult with a local family law attorney.

Emancipation probably won't help and is not likely available. In most states, emancipation has more to do with the obligations of the parents to a child and what decisions a parent can make on behalf of a child (e.g. medical). Conversely, in most states, including GA, emancipation occurs automatically at age 18 (the age of majority). You already are emancipated.

As for overturning the adoption, very very very very unlikely. Once it is final, an adoption is final. The only effective way to get out of an adoption is to be adopted by another parent. (granted, fraud and perjury in the adoption process could be grounds, but you haven't raised that issue, and again, since you are over 18, the issue is largely moot).

I know it is probably not the answer you wanted, but if you want more detail, consider consulting with a family law attorney in GA.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer