Skip to main content

I am a 17 year old girl and I was recently threatened on Instagram (social media) by an 18 year old girl

Los Angeles, CA |

She threatened to fight me and to have another adult individual, from a local street gang, fight me. Initially I stood my ground but when she would not let up I stopped replying and took screenshots of the comments. If I said something back does that mean I can't press charges against her? Or what can I do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You should go to the local police precinct where you live and file a complaint. You should bring a parent with you as well.

The answers given are informational only and do not constitute legal advice.


Contact your local police department. Bring your screen shots.

The response above is not intended as legal advice since it’s impracticable to provide thorough, accurate advice based upon the query without additional details. It is highly recommended that one should seek advice from a criminal defense attorney licensed in your jurisdiction by setting up a confidential meeting. Moreover, this response does not constitute the creation of an attorney-client relationship since this message is not a confidential communication because it was posted on a public website, thereby publicly disclosing the information, which is another reason to setup a confidential meeting with an attorney.


Report this to the police ASAP. Do not call 911, but call the non-emergency number. Better yet, walk into the closest police station and show them the screen-shots. If any of this happened at school or you attend the same school, you should also inform the principal and/or school police officer.

San Diego Criminal Defense Attorney--19 years experience. Law Offices of Jay S. Finnecy


If she threatened you, you should take your screen shots and go to the police.

I am licensed in Pennsylvania. Members of my firm are licensed in various states, including Pennsylvania, New Jersey and New York. We handle cases involving personal injury (car accidents slip and falls, etc.,) medical malpractice, nursing home abuse, workers' compensation, social security disability and legal malpractice. Nothing I write on Avvo is legal advice, but instead contains general educational information. Please do not act or refrain from acting based upon what you read in anything I write on Avvo without retaining your own lawyer in your state. Also please remember that this post does not form an attorney/client relationship between you and me. If you have specific legal questions, you should contact an attorney in your state for assistance.