Skip to main content

I am 59 and have a question about legal guardian of my two beautiful grand children. Can I receive assistance from the state?

Long Beach, WA |

I would like to know about childcare and financial aid as when I retire I will be on a fixed income. The mother my daughter isin agreement with this.

+ Read More

Filed under: Estates Trusts
Attorney answers 1


Support for your children should not have anything to do with your income or assets as you are not the natural parent or in a position to be legally obligated to provide for the children. As such, yes, you should be able to get assistance. While you are thinking ahead, think about your estate plan and how you can incorporate provisions for your daughter and your grandchildren. Use of safe harbor trusts and contingent trusts would be most useful, especially if your daughter is receiving any state assistance. Hope this helps. Rajiv Nagaich.