I am 21. My parents are going out of town next weekend. Is it legal for me to host a party at their house if i live with them?

Mcallen, TX |

I won't tell them about it but the house will be cleaned up if there is a mess. I am going to check IDs at the door, I won't provide alcohol, and we live in the country so noise won't be a problem. Is it legal for me to advertise the party on Facebook and Twitter?

Legal, yes. Good idea, NO.

if you are not mature enough to discuss this and get their ok ahead of time, then you probably should not be hosting a large party.

This answer DOES NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. This answer is based on the limited information provided and is not intended to be conclusive advice. There are likely other factors that might influence or change the advice after a more lengthy consultation.

They will say no. Whenever I ask they say that too many people are bound to show up and mess will be too big.

Maria Sara Lowry

Maria Sara Lowry

Get your own place before you have a party.

my parents wont pay for it they said its too expensive

Kevin H. Pate

Kevin H. Pate

Oh, my stars and planets. Hosting a party on your parent's property is a bad idea (please, trust me on this point.) Further, advertising a party on Facebook? You have zero control who sees it, passes it on, and thus zero control on who shows up. More importantly, you have given over all control on what substances show up with the strangers. This is a bad, bad, bad idea. It;s one thing for someone to subject their parent's property to a few close friends when the parent's are away. But a open to the world invitation on the internet? You are practically begging to be invited to seek new living quarters elsewhere, and as you note, they are not going to foot the bill for those new digs. Do not do this to yourself, nor to your parents, nor to their property, nor to your good friends, any one of whom could be harmed by a stranger on your watch. I won't even get into the potential liability for someone being hurt, or the cops showing up. Seriously, this is a bad plan.

Really?!? You really think this is a good idea? And advertising it on Facebook and Twitter? Tell your parents AHEAD of time or do not do it! While giving the party may not be illegal, the unintended consequences will likely be very much so. Grow up, move out, get your own place, and then throw a party....but not at your parents' home...that THEY own, not you.

Any communication through the AVVO site with Sherrie Travers or any individual member of the firm, Travers & Travers, does NOT establish an attorney-client relationship. Any information given by Sherrie Travers or by any individual member of the firm through the AVVO site is general information and should not be relied on as legal advice. This answer is based upon limited information and is not intended to be conclusive in your circumstances as there may be other factors that might change or alter the advice given herein. Confidential or time-sensitive information should be conducted in person with an attorney.

It may not be illegal but you mentioned in one of your previous comments that your parents already expressly denied permission for a party at their house. If there are any damages to the property, someone gets injured while attending the party, or simply if they later find out you violated their trust, they may ask you to move out. If you refuse, they can start a process to evict you from their house. Since you are 21 and considered an adult, as a general rule your parents do not have a legal duty to provide for your housing (there are some very limited exceptions, such as mental or physical disability for example). You may have a great party but end up without a place to live.