Skip to main content

I am 19 Year old and I am a Citizen can I petition my mom for citizenship now or do I have to wait till I'm 21

Flushing, NY |

With the new ideas about Immigration going on today and I have been woking since 17 and started paying taxes when I turn 18 I am earing 2300 per month

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


I know it is not the answer you would like to hear, but the law requires that a US citizen be at least 21 years old to petition a parent.

Colorado 303.442.8554/New Mexico 505.819.3303/ Ms DeSeguin’s statement is general in nature, is not intended as legal advice, and should not be relied on as Ms DeSeguin does not have knowledge of all the relevant and necessary facts. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Upon turning 21, US citizens can petition for their parents as immediate relatives. The petition would be for permanent residency, not for citizenship. Continue working and paying taxes as it will help to show your ability to serve as a financial sponsor. Best wishes.

(626) 771-1078 Los Angeles Attorney Theodore Huang, Esq. This is not legal advice. No attorney/client relationship is established. Attorney Huang is licensed in MD; practice limited to federal law.


I agree with my colleagues. To petition for your parents (mother or father) to live in the United States as green card holders, you must be a U.S. citizen and at least 21 years old.

Green card holders (permanent residents) may not petition to bring parents to live permanently in the United States.

A little patience. It won't be long now.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2


21 :(

This answer is for general information only and is not intended as legal advice regarding your specific situation. In order to assess your legal matter properly and obtain legal advice, you must contact an attorney directly. Provision of this general information does not create an attorney-client relationship.


You must be 21.

The answer provided here is general in nature and does not take into account other factors that may need to be reviewed for a more precise answer. You should consult with an immigration attorney before taking any action. The answer here is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer