Skip to main content

I am 18 my girlfriend is 16 i am unable to see due to her uncle and i would like her to move in is it legal? can i be charged?

Grand Junction, CO |

My girl friend has no guardian but lives with her uncle that now Say's i can't see her for no reason we have been together 1 year 3 months i would like her to move in with me is there any law keeping her from being allowed to move in with me and my parents responsible adults see me in any way ? my parents have agreed to this it was there idea . would me or my parents be able to be charged in any way shape or form if she moved in with us ? or would any of them be able to stop her from moving in ?

her uncle is her caretaker yes

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The 16 year old girl is a minor and someone is legally responsible for her. Unless she is emancipated (read- employed, self sufficient, not dependent on anyone else), she has to wait until she is 18 when she is legally able to decide where she will live.


I would not risk it.

The information provided in this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. If you are interested in his legal services, feel free to call Chris at (303) 409-7635 at his law office in the Denver Tech Center. All initial consultations are free of charge.


Why in the heck would you want a 16 year old to move in with you. You are asking for trouble.

In no way am I offering you legal advice, and in no way has my comment created an attorney-client relationship. You are not to rely upon my note above in any way, but insted need to sit down with counsel and share all relevant facts before receiving fully-informed legal advice. If you want to be completely sure of your rights, you must sit down with an experienced criminal defense attorney to be fully aware of your rights.