I am 18 and got caught stealing about $10 worth of stuff from walmart. They took me into the security and got my info.

Canyon Country, CA |

They also had me sign so they could take my picture. Should I be worried?

If you are asking if there will be criminal charges filed against you, I would have to say that I would doubt it. Usually, these theft offenses under a particular dollar amount are handled informally. This is to say that the store does nto contact police (as you seem to indicate that they did not in your case) and does not request further prosecution being satisfied with dealing with you informally (meaning documenting the incident for their own records and escorting you out of the store).

Good luck, please learn from this and don't expose yourself or your family to this stress...

I know it was dumb and I should not have done it.. But yes the police were not contacted. They caught me, I handed it back to them, we went into the security office and then he had me write down my address phone number etc.. and then said sign this so we can take a picture of you and put it in our database. He also told me that probably nothing would happen but I see all these people getting letters requesting money or they will sue.

Afterwards he just told me I was free to go and let me walk out on my own. I know i made a bad decision and now I am just so worried. Will civil charges be filed?

Jarrod Matthew Wilfert

Jarrod Matthew Wilfert

Not likely. Here's the deal: It was a $10 theft so it is not worth them throwing good money after bad trying to prosecute for this. Walmart itself and their employess have probably moved on. Could they file against you criminally? Probably not since they did not have police take reports that day and given the dollar amount, police are not likely going to get involved after the fact like this. Could they file against you civilly? Yes. Will they? Probably not. Once again it is a cost benefit analysis here. They would be spending a significantly larger amount of money to get the $10 from you and it would not be worth their time. My suggestion is to move on and learn from this as it seems you have. You have a long life ahead of you. Take this as a learning situation and realize that you don't need the liability associated with these types of actions. Good luck!

Thank you so much. It was a one time thing and I have definitely learned from it and it will never happen again. One last thing though. Is it likely that they will send me a civil demand? And if they do should I pay it or not? After this is resolved, if it hasn't already been, then would this show up in a background check and a retail theft database?

Jarrod Matthew Wilfert

Jarrod Matthew Wilfert

If they send a civil demand, I would pay it immediately and be done with this as long as the price is reasonable. This is not an arrest. You have not been arrested by law enforcement, this is purely civil and will not show up on your background and should never impair your chances of obtaining a career of your choice. Good luck!

What would you say is reasonable and what isn't?

And if I pay the civil demand will they still try to prosecute me. Same if I don't?

Jarrod Matthew Wilfert

Jarrod Matthew Wilfert

What is reasonable is up to you. I do not think they will try to prosecute you and you may never hear from them again anyway since it is such a low dollar amount.

Craig Allen Renetzky

Craig Allen Renetzky

I always advise my clients NOT to pay the civil demands.