Skip to main content

I am 17 years old i got caught shoplifting at claires one earring for 15 dollars this is my first time what happens?

Miami, FL |
Attorney answers 4


There are many options. These include everything from having the charges dropped to serving jail time. Because of your age and the fact that it is a first time offense, you need to talk to an attorney. The goal will be to have the charges dropped outright or through a diversion program. Feel free to contact me for a free consultation.

Contact through this site alone does not establish a client lawyer relationship. This information is not to be used as a substitute for consulting with an attorney. I or any of the attorneys at longwelllawyers would be happy to give a free consultation. Call 407-426-5757. <p><a href="" target="_blank">Longwell Lawyers</a><br /> <a href="" target="_blank">Orlando Criminal Defense Attorneys</a><br /> <a href="" target="_blank">Orlando Family Law Attorneys</a></p>


The state attorney will probably prosecute you. They will decide to charge you as an adult or a minor. Claire's will want you to pay them even if they got the earing back. Claire's may not want to press charges, but they probably will. If Claire's wants to press charges then the State Attorney will file charges to prosecute you, you will have an arraginment where you go to court and plead guilty or not guilty or the State attorney many offer you a "deal" right then and there. You can hire a private attorney or you can have a public defender. You should get an attorney to advise you because you will have a lot of questions.


You should be eligible for a diversion program wherein you complete certain conditions and the charges get dropped. Have your parents consult with a lawyer down your way to advise you what your options are. Good luck to you!!

Please be advised that answering your questions does not establish an attorney-client relationship with myself or my firm. We would be more than happy to set up a free consultation if you call us at 407-228-3838 and specifically mention AVVO or email me at and put AVVO in the subject line.


You will be prosecuted in juvenile court and may likely be given an opportunity to participate in a first time offender diversion program. This means there is a good chance the charges are dropped if you complete the program. I advise you hire a lawyer to guide you and keep your case on track.

John S. Riordan, Esq.
West Palm Beach, FL
(561) 650-8291

John S. Riordan, Esq., RIORDAN & HERMAN, PL., West Palm Beach, FL, (561) 650-8291. Mr. Riordan is a former Palm Beach County Prosecutor and an experienced criminal defense lawyer handling cases in both State and Federal Courts throughout Florida. The answer provided is for educational purposes only. It does not constitute legal advice or create an attorney-client relationship. You should consult an attorney for legal advice regarding the facts of your specific case and designed to help you with your personal needs.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer