Skip to main content

I am 17 and pregnant ( 4-6 months) can i get welfare?

Haddon Heights, NJ |

I am 17 and pregnant. my adoptive parents refuse to pay for doctor checkups and dont want to feed me. I get kicked out very often but i winde up back there because they still recieve money for me. Am i personally eligable for welfare?

+ Read More

Filed under: Social security
Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

For medical coverage yes, but depending on the circumstances you might have to get your parents' assistance to prove their financial situation for you to be eligible. Also, depending on the circumstances, emancipation may be an option (however given your limited time and near adulthood that might not be an option for you). Because you are pregnant, you are also allowed to make certain medical decisions for yourself.

Check out these websites and contact the appropriate agencies for more information:

Please note: The information provided here is for general informational purposes only and should not be construed as legal advice or legal opinion on specific facts or circumstances. You should consult an experienced attorney concerning your particular factual situation and any specific legal questions you may have. No attorney-client relationship is created merely through the exchange of information via this web site. Michael J. Duffy will not undertake representation of a client without the client first signing a written retainer and representation agreement.


Your parents, adoptive included, are legally responsible for you, including medical care, food and shelter, they are not allowed to deny you appropriate medical care or kick you out of the house. If you need assistance, such as medical care or they kick you out of the house again, you should contact child protective services immediately - in New Jersey call --> 1-877 NJ ABUSE.

Also there are federally funded programs run through state office for pregnant women and teens - you should be eligible for care under those programs, with or without your adoptive parents help, contact Division of Medical Assistance and Health Services (DMAHS), Call Toll Free: 1-800-356-1561.

Disclaimer Information on this site is provided by Brian Scott Wayson as general information, not legal advice, and use of this information does not establish an attorney-client relationship. If you have questions about your specific situation, please call an attorney.


My colleagues have given you good answers.

As for Social Security or Supplemental Security Income disability, pregnancy is not considered a disability under SSA law, since it lasts only 9 months. The SSA definition of disability is a condition which precludes work and is expected to last at least a year, or end in death.

What kind of money is received by your adoptive parents for you? Is it paid by welfare? If so, and you live somewhere else, check with your local welfare office to see if it could be payable to you, instead. If it is a payment from Social Security, and you live somewhere else, check with SSA at 1-800-772-1213 to see if it could be payable to another adult who would look after you, instead.

You should check with your local welfare office regarding whether you qualify for any food stamps, Medicaid, and/or cash benefits on your own.

This communication does not establish an attorney-client relationship. This communication offers general information based on the limited facts set out in the question, and does not constitute the giving of legal advice. For specific legal advice, consult an attorney in your state who is knowledgeable in this area of law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer