Skip to main content

I am 16 years old and I am trying to get out of my mothers house. My Mother inst taking on the responsibility of being a mother.

Hicksville, NY |

I've lived with my mother for all of my life. My father signed his custodial rights over to my mother when i was 2. I want to be on my own or even under a different care taker. My mother has brought guys homes and had made me do everything in the house (cleaning, feeding the kids, cleaning the kids, etc.). I am emotionally and mentally tired of the responsibilities. My mother is emotionally, mentally, and verbally abusive. I don't know what to do. Is there any way i can be on my own or decide where i want to live? what legal grounds do i stand? what can my father do?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Be very careful what you wish for because you may end up in a foster home situation. You need to talk to your family members and discuss your issues with them and see if there can be a family solution. Grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc. They may be able to help you get her the help she needs.


If you want to be on your own i.e. emancipated, the first thing you need to do is have a plan that includes how you will support yourself. If you simply want to get out of your mother's home and you would like to live with your father AND he agrees, then he can file a petition with the court and your wishes will be given great weight. Explore that option with your father first, and if that won't work, then repost for more info. Good luck!

Ms. Brown may be reached at 718-878-6886 during regular business hours, or anytime by email at: All of Ms. Brown's responses to questions posted on AVVO are intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and are provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual, and her response to the question above is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. Ms. Brown is licensed to practice law in New York. If you would like to obtain specific legal advice about this issue, you must contact an attorney who is licensed to practice law in your state.


Just go to your father. That's it. He'll file a petition to reverse custody. Done.

Good luck.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer