I am in a chapter 13 bankruptcy, the judge retired, another judge was assigned my case, how do I file supplemental declaration?

Rancho Cucamonga, CA |

I was informed that a hearing will take place and I need to file a brief and supplemental declaration. I am representing myself.

... the same way you would if the judge did not retire. Since you filed your Ch13 yourself, surely you are aware of how to file a document with the court.

Filemon Kevin Samson

Filemon Kevin Samson

I agree with my colleagues, Messrs. Whitaker and Weil, regarding the complexity of a Chapter 13 Bankruptcy. You may want to note that according to the 2011 Annual Pro Se report of the United States Bankruptcy Court, "The number of self-represented debtors that manage to get to confirmation of a chapter 13 plan is 0.4 percent – clearly demonstrating that it is nearly impossible for this population to succeed in chapter 13."

You will need to sign up for ECF and file it there. Look up ECF on your local bankruptcy court's site and call them for help setting it up.

Matthew Johnson phone# 206.747.0313 is licensed in the State of Washington and performs bankruptcy, short sale negotiations, and estate planning in Whatcom, Skagit, Snohomish, King and Pierce counties. The response does not constitute specific legal advice, which would require a full inquiry by the attorney into the complete background of the facts and circumstances surrounding this matter; rather, it is intended to be general legal information based on the limited information provided by the inquirer; it This response also does not constitute the establishment of an attorney-client relationship, which can only be established after a conflict of interest evaluation is completed, your case is accepted, and a fee agreement is signed. Johnson Legal Group, PLLC

Hire an attorney and have him file it for you

If you are in a Chapter 13 case, you can hire an attorney for very little money since counsel is paid largely from plan payments. All you're doing by attempting to go it alone is endangering the viability of your case. The success rate of Chapter 13 cases filed without lawyers is very, very low. So do yourself a favor and find competent counsel to assist you.

- BensonBankruptcy.com