Skip to main content

I-485 and translation of birth certificate

Arlington, VA |

I am about to fill out the I-485 through marriage, overstayed tourist visa. My question is my birth certificate was translated by a US notary is 2009, but today when I was checking out the translation, I noticed the notary comission expired on May 2011. Do I need to translate my birth certificate again because of the expired notary comission? Or Is it okay to send this one with my I-485? Thank you.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


It is OK to send this translation as is. What counts is that the notary's commission was valid at the time the BC was translated.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


The translation is still good. You can use it as is if it is accurate.


Yes, notary only notarizes a signature of a translator not the contents of the document. Since it was valid when signed, you can use it.


it should be fine.

The statement above does not create an attorney-client relationship. It is intended as general information only and it is not a substitute for legal advice. You should consult with a licensed attorney to discuss the specific facts and circumstances of your case.