Skip to main content

I-485: English Translation for Foreign Birth Certificate

New York, NY |

I'm applying for green card through marriage to U.S citizen and USCIS has requested for initial evidence. My birth certificate is in foreign language and it needs to be translated in English. I am planning to pay for professionals to translate it and here is my question. Should this translation be certified or notarized by those certified translators? Or just translation without it is acceptable? Those companies charge extra for the certification/notarization so I want to know before ordering. I just called USCIS and they don't have an anser for this. Please help! P.S. For my O-1 visa application last year, I translated the foreign newspaper articles about me to English and it was acceptable, but I want to be sure for this case.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3

Best Answer

The translation should have a certification from the translator attesting knowledge of the original language and English.

This information is provided as a courtesy based upon the limited information provided in your post and does not constitute an attorney-client relationship.


Ask what the term "certified translator" means. Assuming he will certify that his translation is correct.

Business Immigration Attorney. For H, L, J, EB5s, PERM and EB1/2/3 Petitions. Call 800-688-7892 or visit Law Office of Anu Gupta. The advice suggested here is for general information only and not to be construed as legal advice.


I use translators that certify and have this certification notarized.

DISCLAIMER: The information you obtained in this answer is not, nor is it intended to be, legal advice and it should not be construed as a formation of a client-attorney relationship or legal representation, which can only occur after the execution of a formal engagement letter or retainer agreement. For a FREE Consultation call (212) 804-5770 or visit us at