Skip to main content

I-130 pending

Houston, TX |

I'am a u.s. citizen and I applied a I-130 for my husband after passing our interview a week later I received a request of evidence for my u.s. birth certificate. I was born through a midwife in brownsville texas. I know the immigration is targeting midwife birth certificate. I complied and gather all the evidences they requested to prove my citizenship except the baptismal birth certificate because I was never baptized. I have my school records from K-8th grade all my brothers and sisters birth certificates some of them already have the U.S passport. My question is would it be a problem if I cant submit the baptismal certificate? They also asked my parents marriage certificate but they were never married and only my dad is alive my mother went missing when I was 6 yrs both are mexicans.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Your question is unfortunately indicative of a type of problem many people have had - proving US citizenship under these circumstances. You will need an excellent immigration attorney who can assist you with submitting all the required info as well as convincing the government that you actually are a US citizen. Be very careful with this issue as it may seem obvious to you that you're a citizen, but this is an issue which USCIS requires to be proven. You are going to need as much docmentary and even testimonial evidence as possible. Retain an attorney who can assist you with proving that you were indeed born here - a tough thing to prove if you do not have a birth certificate and no other contemporaneous evidence as it appears you do not have.

Look on AVVO for an excellent attorney with a lot of experience.

No attorney-client relationship is created or implied by this communication. To contact this attorney see his profile; attorney number: 281-733-2875.

Carl Michael Shusterman

Carl Michael Shusterman


Good answer


This may be a problem. There are a lot of phony Brownsville birth certificates where midwifes did the delivery. You may need to hire an attorney.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


Hire an experienced immigration attorney to assist you

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer