Skip to main content

I-130 Form Question 14 "If your relative is currently in the US, complete the following..."

Santa Ana, CA |

Just We need a little extra help..... In the form I-130 Question 14 ""If your relative is currently in the US, complete the following, he or she arrived as a: (visitor, student,......).... What should we put? My wife is a US Citizen

My immigration history..... I came with a J1 Exchange Visitor Visa, then change to F1 Student (my current visa)..... I'm in the US right now.....


Mr. Capriotti thanks for your quick reply.... My wife is the petitioner, I'm the beneficiary.......I know the column on the right is the ALIEN (myself) information..... Question 14 Information about your relative....

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


The column on the right is for the ALIEN's information ... not the US citizen's.

You should meet with an attorney ... as you go on to more forms, the questions will become more complicated.

If you are low income go here: or

PROFESSOR OF IMMIGRATION LAW for over 10 years -- This blog posting is offered for informational purposes only. It does not constitute an attorney-client relationship. Also, keep in mind that this is an INTERNET BLOG. You should not rely on anything you read here to make decisions which impact on your life. Meet with an attorney, via Skype, or in person, to obtain competent personal and professional guidance.


I agree with attorney Capriotti, the forms will become even more complicated. If you entered as a J1, enter J1.

Samuel Ouya Maina, Esq. 415.391.6612 Law Offices of S. Ouya Maina, PC 332 Pine Street, Suite 707 San Francisco, CA 94104


It is your wife that is filing the form, not you. Therefore, question 14 refers to you.

You really need to retain an experienced immigration lawyer, whether myself or one of my colleagues, to review all the facts, advise you, and handle the case.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer