Skip to main content

I t boned a lady who pulled out in front of me, she was drinking.

Cartersville, GA |

She was found to be in the wrong, and was cited for open container and causing an accident. She was not legally drunk, but she did register. I did not think I was hurt at the time, but went to the doctor the following month and they found 3 pinched nerves in my back and muscle damage in my neck and shoulder. The neurologist said that all I could do is PT and that I would have to put up with the pain, because they could not do surgery on 3 disc on top of each other. Can I sue for pain and suffering?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 14


Consult a local PI lawyer.

Ryan Finn * 518.213.0115 * * Referrals are the highest form of compliment * Hacker Murphy serves clients throughout New York State and always pays referring attorneys a reasonable referral fee


Get a lawyer IMMEDIATELY. And do not talk to the insurer without one.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you (and am not your lawyer). Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). I am happy to discuss possible representation with you. Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


Contact a local personal injury attorney. They can advise you further.


Sound advise from the other lawyers - get a lawyer.


You may have a very strong claim. I would strongly encourage you to call a qualified personal injury lawyer.

Attorney Pete Pearson
(678) 740-6928


Yes, you can sue for pain and suffering. However there are many factors that should be investigated. Consult with a Personal Injury attorney.

I am happy to answer any questions you have?


This response is for general information only, no attorney client privilege has been established by this communication.

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio


Call Mr. Wilson.


Hopefully, there are mitigating factors for the delay in treatment and/or other ways you may have docu,ended the injury. Ps vi'm not so sure the liability is as clear cut as you think. Good luck.

Personal injury cases only; I'm good at it; you be the Judge! All information provided is for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney client relationship has been formed or should be inferred. Please speak with a local and qualified attorney. I truly wish you and those close to you all the best. Jeff


Yes.. Hire a lawyer ASAP.


If you can prove your injuries diagnosed the following month were caused or aggravated by the collision and not by a post-accident intervening cause, you might have a viable cause of action against the other driver. Waiting for a month after the accident to require or to get medical treatment (if this is what occurred) will make your case tougher but not unwinnable. Feel free to call or email me at no charge to discuss the matter further.

Robert G. Rothstein Assoc.
Trial Lawyers

Disclaimer: This response is provided to you for educational and informational purposes only and no attorney-client relationship has been created hereby. Other attorneys may have different opinions or responses. If you found this response helpful, please indicate that to Avvo. Thank you.


You would need to retain a personal injury lawyer to investigate. Find a lawyer with a low contingency fee, less than 30% with no costs deducted, so you get the lion’s share of the settlement, not your lawyer.

Only 29% Contingency Fee! Phone: 215-510-6755


You need a personal injury attorney right away. Preferably one with experience with punitive damages claims against individuals and asset tracing for attachment of your judgment.

You have a claim for negligence against the other driver, that's clear and has been articulated by the other lawyers here. The woman driving the other car had a duty to operate a car reasonably and prudently under the circumstances and she breached that duty by operating a vehicle under the influence of alcohol. As an actual and proximate result of her breach, you suffered personal injury and financial and personal loss.

To answer your question, you are entitled to all of your medical bills (not just your copays), lost wages, and compensation for your pain and suffering both now, and in the future.

The tricky thing here is that, while her insurance will likely cover all of the damages I just mentioned, many insurance companies have an exclusion for punitive damages.

Under Georgia law, you can seek punitive damages for willful and wanton or reckless conduct. This is more than mere negligence and must have some semblance of an intentional act. The damages i mentioned before are actually considered compensatory damages (designed to "make the plaintiff whole" after an injury). Punitive damages, by comparison, are designed to punish reckless conduct (designed to "put a hole in the defendant" is the way Charles Adams III, author of Georgia Law of Torts puts it).

Like I said, a lot of insurance companies exclude coverage for punitive damages. So, any judgment for punitive damages may have to be collected directly from the drunk driver. Knowing how to find assets and attach a lien to those assets is a skill many personal injury or car wreck lawyers don't have, not because of incompetence, but it's generally outside their focus, usually.

You should ask the attorney you consult with knows if he or she knows how to do "Article 9 Judgment lien attachment to fixtures" or "a real estate judgment lien attachment" for any potential punitive damages judgment.

Best of luck. Sorry to hear about your back. I hope you can cope with your pain well.

Answers to questions does not create an attorney/client relationship. I only am your attorney if I have entered into a written contract, signed by me, wherein I expressly assent to be your attorney. Nothing I post should be construed as legal advice to be acted upon, it is merely a legal opinion.


My fellow Georgian from Cartersville, this is not good. Hopefully your injuries amount to only soft tissue & not worse. There are many different issues to talk about. Here's my initial advice, talk with several different attorneys & pick the one whom you feel you connect with best. There are many questions to ask such as will they take the case to trial before a jury (if necessary)? Can the attorney tell a good story & have the ability to connect with a jury? How much experience does the attorney have handling civil & criminal matters involving DWI? How much experience does the attorney have pursing & obtaining punitive damages for clients? How available is the attorney to actively work on your case? Does the attorney have both professional & personal experience with the issues you are going through? Does the attorney have your best interests at heart? Will the attorney look you in the eye & tell you the truth, not necessarily what you want to hear? Is the attorney empathetic? How much experience does the attorney have pursuing & obtaining emotional & psychological damages? I am reachable @ my office at (404) 303-8875. You are welcome to call me if you wish & would be happy to speak with you anytime over the weekend as well. I hope you feel better and am so sorry that this happened to you. Take care.

Sam Levine, Esq.
(404) 468-4689
"A strong, caring, zealous advocate for the injured"

Kevin Coluccio

Kevin Coluccio


Call Mr. Levine - he is clearly knowledgeable and willing to talk with you.


Yes, you have a claim. However, because your symptoms did not surface for a month the insurance company may claim that it was caused by something other than the accident. You should hire an attorney because that fact wrinkle makes this a more difficult case.

This response does not create a lawyer client relationship. Each case is determined on its specific facts and this reply is intended for a general audience and facts particular to your case may affect the answer. Consult with an attorney in person for specific answers to your questions.


Regardless of whether you can sue or not for the accident, I would get a second opinion on whether or not your pain can be relieved. The delay in seeking treatment at the time of the accident may cause you problems in seeking recovery. You may be able to address that issue if your doctor can give a clear opinion that the injuries are related to the accident, and you will have to rule out any events that may have occurred after the car accident which the insurance company could say was the total cause or contributing factor for your injuries. Did you provide a recorded statement to the insurance company? Did you go to the hospital or doctor immediately after the accident? There are many questions that need to be asked by an Atlanta, Georgia accident injury attorney to give a good assessment of whether there are enough evidence and facts to support an action.

Law Office of Sidney Weinstein
Atlanta, Georgia Accident Injury Attorney

This response does not create an attorney-client relationship. Unless you are already a client of the Law Office of Sidney Weinstein, pursuant to an executed fee agreement, you should not use, interpret, or rely on this response as legal advice or opinion. Do not act on any information in this response without seeking legal advice. Sidney Weinstein,, (404) 522-3108.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer