Skip to main content

I have a mortgage on my house. What happens if I tear it down and rebuild without contacting the Bank?

Fernandina Beach, FL |

The house is a beach front property the land is very valuable and cost $350,000.00 dol and house $35,000.00

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5

Best Answer

Lenders become very frightened when the property on which they hold a mortgage undergoes a change. Your mortgage probably contains clauses giving your lender rights in these circumstances. It's best not to mess around. Send written notice to your mortgage lender (and to a mortgage service company, if such a company services your mortgage), then follow up to obtain their written permission for the demolition and reconstruction; without any penalty or acceleration of the mortgage.

Disclaimer: For a free consultation contact me directly at 973-519-0196 or If this answer was helpful, please mark it as helpful or as a best answer. Answering questions on does not create an attorney-client relationship. You are strongly encouraged to seek and retain your own counsel. Information and answers posted to this website are for general informational purposes only.


Read your Mortgage or Deed of Trust. They might be able to accelerate the loan.


Tearing down the house is committing waste and is a violation of your mortgage. You should consult your mortgage holder about your plans and get their permission. If your mortgage is not in default, you mortgage lender will probably finance the construction of he new house.

Disclaimer: This answer is provided for informational purposes only, does not constitute legal advice, and does not create an attorney-client relationship. Actual legal advice can only be provided after completing a comprehensive consultation in which all of the relevant facts are discussed and reviewed.


Read your mortgage. Tearing down the house is likely a default and will trigger acceleration.
Consider paying off the loan and getting a construction loan to build the new house. Or, as was already suggested, get the lender's permission (in writing) to tear down and rebuild.
If you cannot determine what your mortgage says, or if you have difficulty getting the lender to agree, I suggest you contact an attorney to explain your options.


Worse yet, if you damage the bank's collateral, they can probably seek to have your debt to the bank nondischargeable under the Bankruptcy Code if you file for bankruptcy in the future. See 11 U.S.C. Section 523. Do not do it without showing an attorney what you believe to be explicit written permission from the lender and asking the attorney whether it is sufficient.

If this information has been helpful, please check the thumbs up tab below. Disclaimer: The above is intended to give you some insight into various legal topics. This information is not intended as legal advice, but rather an attempt to provide helpful topical information. Although I would welcome the opportunity to speak to you about representing you, we have not established an attorney-client relationship. An attorney-client relationship requires me to agree in writing to represent you. Unless that happens, you should not take anything I say or write to be legal advice about your situation or make any decisions based on it. It is very important that you consult a lawyer as to the specific circumstances of your case. If there are more facts that you overlooked and did not include in your initial question and you would like to email me, you may send an email to Of course, sending an email to me or my firm does not create an attorney-client relationship. We do not accept client representations by email. We do not always treat unsolicited information received by email from our website as confidential unless you have first confirmed that we do not have a conflict of interest. Please do not send us any information about a potential representation until you communicate with us to find out if we have a conflict of interest with the adversary in your particular case. As a rule, we do not represent institutions against consumers so there is usually not a conflict of interest when it comes to consumer protection but it is always safe to be sure. If you send me an email without checking to ensure there is no conflict, you also agree that our review of your email or any information in it, even if you submitted it in a good faith effort to retain us, and even if you consider it confidential, will not preclude us from representing another client directly adverse to you, even in a matter where that information could and will be used against you. Sorry for all of the legal words but I like to be up front with potential clients and my clients. Best regards, Steven M. Fahlgren Attorney, Arbitrator and Certified Circuit Civil Mediator Law Offices of Steven M. Fahlgren, P.A. Phone: (904) 845-2255 Phone: (407) 852-1711