I have B1/2 visa till 2017 and won US Diversity visa lottery. Can I travel to US and adjust status to permanent resident?

Seattle, WA |

I have B1/B2 visa till 2017 and won US Diversity visa lottery in 2013(program year 2014).
Can I travel now to US and adjust status to permanent resident? If yes how long it will take to get SSN. can I travel back to my home country till status is adjusted? Is it possible to work legally In USA till status is adjusted?

Best Answer

No. You cannot enter the United States with a B1/B2 visa with the intent to remain here permanently. You risk being found to materially misrepresented yourself at the tine of entry, which can lead to a permanent bar to admission. You must process your request for an immigrant visa through consular processing.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654, wendy@myatorneyusa.com, www.myattorneyusa.com. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.

I agree with my colleague. You must undergo Consular Processing.

Law Offices of J Thomas Smith J.D., Ph.D 11500 Northwest Freeway, Suite 280 Houston, TX 77092 713-LAWYER-2 www.MyImmigrationLawyer.info NOTE: Responses are for the education of the community at large and is not intended to be "legal advice." No attorney-client relationship is established by responses or comments.

You should not attempt to use your B visa to enter. You have an immigrant intent and should process through the consulate with your DV lottery victory and enter as a permanent resident.

No, you have to do consulate processing.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS www.myattorneyusa.com; email: info@myattorneyusa.com; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.