Skip to main content

Husband has been sole provider during our marriage of almost 3 yrs., what am I entitled to (financially) if we divorce/separate?

Virginia Beach, VA |

I am a military spouse, and we have no children. I have been a student and a stay at home wife during our marriage. There has also been domestic violence.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


Until a civil order of support is entered by a court, the military has its own regulations relating to support of family members which would apply. Legal offices on base can provide you with this information. A court has the discretion to award spousal support based upon statutory factors, including the length of the marriage. In a brief marriage such as this, courts generally would be expected to award support for one-half the length of the marriage. There are many factors that are considered and the actual outcome would depend upon the particular facts of your case. You would need to consult a family lawyer for specific advice.

This answer is for general information purposes, is not legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship.


Before you file for divorce, you will also want to enter into a "separation agreement" if you are able. In other words, it is usually better to agree on the terms of support and the division of property etc., rather than have the courts decide. A lawyer can help you negotiate this out between you and your husband. Once things are agreed upon, your divorce can move forward relatively smoothly. If you would like some help, I would be happy to meet with you. My office number is (757) 425-9977.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer