Skip to main content

Husband has been primarily paid cash & shows little on income tax. How can I receive alimony/child support?

San Clemente, CA |

Separated 6 mos. I was his secretary & know our profit margin (40 percent).
Only showed my part-time (nursing) income on tax returns.
Made 6 figures.
One child, No assets. We agree on custody.
Married 10 years in October 2013.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


You will need to establish for the court the amount of the income that he produces. The IRS does this all the time and has written a nice audit guide on how to do this, it can be found here: If you signed the joint returns showing little income while you knew the income was big then you may not be eligible for innocent spouse treatement. You may also want to amend your old tax returns to reflect the amounts that you now wish were fully reported previously. Had they been reported in the first place you could show the court the true value of the business and the income that child support should be computed from.

If you find an answer helpful please mark it as such or as the Best Answer. You have asked us to state an opinion based upon stated facts. You have not provided us with any documents, pictures, witness statements or other admissible evidence. The opinions stated are based upon general principles of law unless otherwise stated, which may or may not be applicable in your jurisdiction. Controlling law is also subject to change or reversal at any time. Any such changes may be retroactive and could significantly modify the statements and opinions expressed herein. Similarly, any change in the facts and assumptions upon which this opinion is based could modify the conclusions. We opine only as to matters expressly set forth, no opinions should be inferred as to other matters or to treatment of matters not specifically addressed. This opinion represents our best judgment as to the probable outcome of the issues discussed and is not binding on the courts or upon your adversaries. We can give no assurance that an adversary would not challenge our conclusions and prevail in the courts in a manner to cause adverse consequences. With respect to some of the matters discussed in the opinion, existing legal precedent may provide very little legal guidance. Although the opinions and views expressed are based on our best interpretations of existing law and what we believe a court would probably conclude if presented with the applicable issues, we can give no assurance that our interpretations would be followed if the issues became the subject of judicial or administrative proceedings. Realization of certain benefits described is subject to the risk that someone may challenge the treatment and that a court may sustain the challenge. Because you may bear the burden of proof required to establish a fact, the opinions expressed assume the you will undertake the effort and expense to present fully the case in support of any matter that you have asserted and an opponent might challenge. None of the advice provided here may be used to avoid tax liability, interest or penalties. If you want that level of assurance you will need to allow us to perform the full opportunity to explore the facts and law applicable to your specific circumstances. I provide answers here to allow people to see the style of communication and type of analysis applied to factual statements.


You need to hire a competent family law attorney who will help you hire a competent forensic accountant. They will be able to help you establish the true level of income, despite the lack of support on the tax return.