Skip to main content

Husband got pulled over a speeding ticket and expired tags. We are getting rid of the car due to it won't pass inspection asap

Charlotte, NC |
Attorney answers 2


Yes, you can probably get that charge dismissed in Mecklenburg County, but you will need to show the District Attorney proof of sale of the vehicle before your court date.

Also, depending upon the speed at which your husband was cited and his recent driving record, it may be a good idea to speak with an attorney about representing him. Depending upon the speed he could be facing a revocation of his driving privileges, points on his license, increased insurance premiums, plus court costs and a fine, as well as having to appear in Court. An experienced traffic attorney can advise you on the best course of action, protect his driving privileges, avoid the need for your husband to go to Court, and usually save you money. An attorney can also get you additional time in your case to get the car sold prior to the Court date, if that is your plan.

Best of luck to you.

The above answer or comment from attorney Todd E. Gonyer does not constitute legal advice. Rather, it is intended only as a general recommendation and suggestion as to how you might proceed. Real legal advice can only be provided with a complete understanding of all the facts pertaining to you and your situation and once there is an attorney-client relationship in place. If you would like to speak to Mr. Gonyer, you may call his Charlotte, NC office at (704) 215-4924.


The tag ticket isn't the one that will cause you any problem. Show that the vehicle was sold and if it was directly after you got this ticket the better. It is the speeding ticket that will cause the most problem for you here. Hire an attorney that does traffic citations and get it settled or dismissed etc. This will save you the most in the long run.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer