Skip to main content

Husband died before divorce is final can anyone sue me because I did not settle

Webster, NY |

his son is threatening to sue me for 1/2 of everything I own because I did not settle . is that at all possible

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Nope, you're widower, with the right to inherit, unless you have stipulated that right away. Your matrimonial action is over. If your husband did not have a will, then the son does have a claim in the estate. You need to hire an estate attorney.

If you'd like to discuss, please feel free to call. Jeff Gold Gold, Benes, LLP 1854 Bellmore Ave Bellmore, NY 11710 Telephone -516.512.6333 Email -


I agree with Mr. Gold. Now would be the time to consult with an Estate attorney.

I am not your attorney and any posts/messages or responses to posts/messages can not establish an attorney-client relationship. You should not rely upon free legal advice and I disclaim any liability for the results if you do.


Upon of death of your husband your divorce action stops with an exception. Speak with a local divorce lawyer about yur situation and discuss the estate matter.

If this answer is helpful, then please mark the helpful button. If this is the best answer, then please indicate it. Thanks. For further information you should see an attorney and discuss the matter completely. If you are in the New York City area, then you can reach me during normal business hours at 718 329 9500 or