Skip to main content

How would i go about to put my name on my daughters birth certicate?

Raymondville, TX |

My Daughter was born in 2004 and i am currently paying child support in Tx so i am the Non Custodial parent. A Peternity test was also done a while back from the Child Support office So i know for a Fact shes my daughter cuz test did come back positive. I also have a copy of this paper for my records. When my daughter was born me and her mom were still dating and in good terms but from what i recall at the hospital i was suppose to go down stairs to fill out paper work for this but never got the chance to do so.. I guess i got busy i dont remember exacly why i couldnt go at the time.. Anyways so my question is Now how would i go about doing it Now??

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2

Best Answer

When the court order for child support was entered it declared you as the legal father and may include language that says to add you to the birth certificate. If it doesn't you can request an amended birth certificate from the bureau of vital statistics by sending them a copy of the court order and paying a fee. Look up Texas Bureau of vital statistics on the web for directions. Good luck.

Please be advised the posting of this answer does not create an attorney-client relationship. Karen L. Marvel and the Law Office of Arthur G. Augustine, as a condition of their employment, require a signed written employment agreement prior to formally establishing an attorney-client relationship with any person.


You would contact the Bureau of Vital Statistics in Austin, and provide them with certified copy of your order determining paternity. They also have an application form that may be available online to change a birth certificate.

Your local Family District Clerk may be helpful in this regard a well. . There are lots of FAQs on my website concerning your rights as father. Good luck to you.

Information and materials posted here are intended only as general information and are NOT intended to constitute legal advice. This information is not applicable to any specific set of facts, nor to your particular circumstances. Your review of this response does NOT create an attorney-client relationship with the attorney(s) listed in it. Shelly B. West is licensed to practice law by the Supreme Court of Texas. Shelly B. West is Not Certified by the Texas Board of Legal Specialization.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer