Skip to main content

How will failing to stop for a school bus affect my life?

Minneapolis, MN |

I recently was driving and failed to stop for a school bus with its arm out, which is a misdemeanor in the state of Minnesota. I am currently 17 years old, and have an otherwise clean record. Will this stay with me after I turn 18, or will it automatically be erased once I reach the age of majority? If it stays, how long will it take for me to get it expunged from my record?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


First, you need to hire an attorney with experience in handling these types of cases because with the services of a good experienced attorney you can hopefully get that charge dismissed, and maybe end up with something much less serious. In the long run, if your driving record is otherwise spotless, you should be OK.

William Daley (619) 238-1905 /


Since you are 17 the matter will be heard in juvenile court. This doesn't mean that everything will be "erased" one you turn 18, but rather that any records of a conviction will be somewhat private. Since this is a gross misdemeanor records will be sent to the BCA, and will be maintained by the court until you are 28. It's a good idea to hire an attorney to see if there is anything you can do to minimize the consequences of this charge on the rest of your life. It's a big deal.


Hire a good lawyer and try and keep it off your record in the first place.


If convicted, (generally) the records would stay 'more private' with regard to a minor. I urge that you do have an attorney represent you.