Skip to main content

How to write an answer to a summons for child custody case?

Garden City, KS |

Im going to court for my two kids.The father has our daughter and i have our son.
He is in texas as im in the state of kansas.I spoke to his lawyer, who told me that he wanted child custody of both kids and the petitioner(child's father) be appointed
"Sole managing Conservator of the children."Ive talked to a lawyer through free consultation, he said that the father has no jurisdiction over my son, and asked if the father ever paid child support, i said no. My child's father and i agreed that he payed for our daughter's needs and i, our son's needs.well since i dont have a lawyer i have only 4 days left to write an answer back to the court, but i just need to know how to write a proper file stating that i dont agree with the petitoner ,i believ that i should have custody of both children.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Instead of writing your own answer, you should retain an attorney to handle this case for you. Your children are far too valuable for you to risk doing something wrong. And, although you can certainly write a simple answer or "response" to each allegation in the motion or petition filed, there are many other things that you need to know to file a proper response to protect all your rights.

You indicate that you had a free consultation with a lawyer and that lawyer indicated the court does not have jurisdiction. That makes it all the more important that you hire a qualified lawyer to handle the case for you. Family law is not easy. And there are too many things that can happen if you don't know what to do or how to do it. There's an old saying: "A man who handles his own court case has a fool for a lawyer."

This response does not constitute legal advice and does not create an attorney-client relationship. I am licensed to practice only in Kansas. Seek legal advice from an attorney in your state or the state in which your legal claim exists.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer