Skip to main content

How to word a set aside judgment on a job application?

Safford, AZ |

I was recently involved in a misdemeanor shoplifting violation that I have since gotten set aside, my question now is how can I word the set aside judgment on a job application to where they will still consider me for employment?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


In California, if a misdemeanor is expunged, you need not report that conviction. Also for most positions, the CA employer cannot ask about misdemeanors.

Check with an AZ lawyer.

David Mallen

David A. Mallen offers answers on Avvo for general information only. This offer of free, general answers is not intended to create an attorney-client relationship. If you need specific advice regarding your legal question, you should consult an attorney confidentially. Many experienced California labor and employment attorneys, including David A. Mallen offer no-risk legal consultations to employers and employees at no charge. David A. Mallen is licensed to practice law before all state and federal courts in California, as well as the California Labor Commissioner and the California Unemployment Insurance Appeals Board. Failure to take legal action within the time periods prescribed by law could result in the loss of important legal rights and remedies.


In AZ you are required, if asked about convictions, to say, "I was convicted of X but it was set aside" since we don't do expunctions/expungements as you are aware.

Anyone viewing this web site should not act on any information contained on this site without seeking professional counsel from an attorney. Use of this web site and/or transmission of information to the firm is not intended to create, and should not be construed as creating, an attorney-client relationship with the firm or any of its attorneys. If you choose to communicate with the firm or any of its attorneys or other personnel through this web site, do not transmit any confidential or sensitive information by e-mail until you have spoken to an attorney from our firm either by telephone or in person. This web site may be considered advertising under applicable laws and ethical rules. The Law Offices of Brent D. Harris, PLLC do not seek to represent anyone in any state where lawyers in the firm are not admitted to practice, or in any state where this web site fails to comply with all laws and ethical rules of that state.