Skip to main content

How to terminate child support

Atlanta, GA |

If I put my ex boyfriend on child support but we have decided to just work things out, will the court terminate child support and income deduction order? The judge ruled on the case 6 months ago.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Child support orders cannot be terminated unless or until either the child becomes emancipated, the child gets adopted, the non-custodial parent passes away, or the parents begin to live together. So whether your order can be terminated depends on what you mean by "working things out".

I hope this information helps answer your question(s).

~ Kem Eyo

The above answer is a general explanation of legal rights and procedures. It does not constitute legal advice. Nor does it establish an attorney-client relationship between the individual posting the question and the attorney providing the answer.


Child support must be paid up until age 18 (and sometimes 20) and income deduction orders are the preferred means to collect. It is highly unlikely a court would terminate either.

If you find this answer helpful, please mark it here on AVVO as helpful. In answering you, I am attempting to communicate general legal information and am not representing you. Do feel free to call me at 404-768-3509 if you wish to discuss actual representation (the phone call also does not retain counsel; that requires an office visit and appropriate paperwork). In that a forum such as this provides me with limited details and doesn't allow me to review details and documents, it is possible that answers here, while meant to be helpful, may in some cases not be complete or accurate, and I highly recommend that you retain legal counsel rather than rely on the answers here. (You can also email my office at . An email also does not retain my office, but can help you get an appointment set if you prefer not to call). Any information in this communication is for discussion purposes only, and is not offered as legal advice. There is no right to rely on the information contained in this communication and no attorney-client relationship is formed. Nothing in my answer should be considered as tax-advice. To ensure compliance with IRS Circular 230, any U.S. federal tax advice provided in this communication is not intended or written to be used, and it cannot be used by the recipient or any other taxpayer (i) for the purpose of avoiding tax penalties that may be imposed on the recipient or any other taxpayer, or (ii) in promoting, marketing or recommending to another party a partnership or other entity, investment plan, arrangement or other transaction addressed herein. I am also required to advise you, if your question concerns bankruptcy, that the U.S. Congress has designated Ashman Law Office as a debt relief agency that can help people file bankruptcy.


No. Terminating child support is NOT in the best interest of the child. The court is concerned with the child's interest only. Unless the parties are able to show by clear and convincing evidence how the child will be otherwise provided for, you can rest assured that child support is at least an 18 year commitment. Best of luck.

This answer serves as a guide and does not establish an attorney-client relationship with the person posing the question. I am licensed to practice law in Georgia. You should always seek competent, legal counsel to provide you with advice for your jurisdiction. My responses are not intended to establish an attorney-client relationship and none of my responses are provided as a substitute for legal advice from a licensed attorney in your state.

Kedra M. Gotel

Kedra M. Gotel


Parents cannot waive child's rights to child support or to upward modification of child support. See Worthington v Worthington, 250 Ga. 730 (1983); Livsey v. Livsey, 229 Ga. 368 (1972)

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer