Skip to main content

How to sue a towing company in Maryland?

Silver Spring, MD |

My car was regularly parked in a shopping center parking lot while I was shopping in one of its stores. When I left the car was gone and towed away. I had to pay about $150 plus time plus they scratched my car. I want to sue for damages and punitive damages as well since the towing was clearly illegal. After some internet research I found out that the towing company, Henry's wrecking service, has an horrible reputation, an F BBB degree, and many people complain of similar situations. May I sue in the district court? Should this be the district court where the car was towed (the company address is in VA but they clearly have many locations also in MD and they do business there). I want to do this myself as I think it would more expensive to hire a lawyer than what I would get.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 2


District court would seem to be appropriate. Jurisdiction where the car was towed is also appropriate although VA may also and not prepared to opine whether one would be better.

This is not to be considered legal advise and no attorney client has been established.


Who identified your vehicle as worthy of being towed? When you sue the towing company, be sure to place some John Doe 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, etc., defendants so that you can do some discovery and find out who else is responsible for the towing, and then you can substitute into your lawsuit the identities of anyone else involved in this matter. This is not going to be fun, but it will be educational. And if you like being educated in law, then perhaps it will be fun, win or lose.

Office: (410) 381-1656. This is NOT legal advice, is GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and does NOT establish an Attorney/Client Relationship with you because you have not yet retained me, and because you have not provided me with a COMPLETE set of all the FACTS in your legal situation. Therefore my answer cannot address your specific legal situation and you should not rely upon my answer in your legal matter. This answer is provided as GENERAL INFORMATION ONLY, and to assist you in beginning your own research or in finding an attorney to represent you. I am an attorney licensed in Maryland and California. If you want me to provide legal advice, then you must call for a Consultation. If you would like me to represent you, then a Retainer and a fully signed and dated Legal Services Agreement (a contract) will be required. Office: (410) 381-1656. David Mahood, Esq.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer