Skip to main content

How to respond to RFE on I-130 petition filed in Jan 2013 for spouse.We had our interview in April 2013.No decision since.

Dallas, TX |

My husband and I got married in Dec 2012.I,the US citizen filed for him in Jan 2013.We had our interview in April 2013.The interview was uneventful.The IO said that we should get a decision within a month.Up till the present time we have not received a decision.I complained to my Congressman,and then the local USCIS office sent us an RFE on the I-130 requesting for most of the items we had already tendered at the interview.They are demanding for our tax transcripts for the last 2 years,joint account statements,lease agreements,joint utility bills,insurance policies and photos spanning our entire relationship.We don't know if we should respond by doing it ourselves or use our previous attorney or just hire a new more efficient and experienced attorney?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You have stated 3 options here. I wouldn't recommend option 1, i.e., doing it yourself. As between options 2 and 3, it is entirely up to you. If you are not satisfied with your current attorney, you can find another one.


It is up to you which attorney to use but it certainly in your best interest to get legal help. Make sure the attorney you choose is an experienced immigration attorney. You can find one in your area at the Find a Lawyers section on this website. Good Luck


Entirely up to you which attorney you want to use, since you know the events and your case best. No one can properly advise you on this. If you no longer trust your current attorney and or feel can no longer properly communicate with him/her, then by all means, hire a new attorney. The other side of this coin is the old saying "one should not switch his horse in the midst of the battle." Your choice.

Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


I would either stick with the attorney you have or find another one who you trust, but I would not go at it alone. To have representation will help to ensure that USCIS gives you a fair shake in your case. Sometimes when people are unrepresented issues can arise in the cases that would normally not arise had the person been represented by an attorney.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer