Skip to main content

How to request a psychiatric evaluation for court

Erie, PA |

I honestly think that m childrens mother has serious mental issues, I don't want to bad mouth her, she physically cares properly for the kids but abuses them emotionally. i dont even know if she realizes what she's doing, puts them down about their looks every time they leave my house, yells at them is they forget a pencil at my house, uses their emotions to get them to act however she wants them to. So far in PA i don't understand why i have to fight for the right to be in my children's lives, i am not even given the option to speak at mediation so i am at loss for words at what i need to do to see my kids. The psychiatric evaluation is not something I am making up, she was taking medications when we were together. please advise thank you

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


Have you discussed your case with an experienced family law attorney? You really should. Many attorneys offer free consultations. One way to locate a family law attorney in your area is to use the Find a Lawyer tab on this site. Your situation sounds pretty complicated. I believe you can benefit from consulting with an attorney. who can evaluate your case and help you with requesting the psychiatric evaluation.

Be sure to click Best Answer if you found this helpful. Disclaimer: Please note that this response does not in any way an attorney-client relationship between Kathryn L. Hilbush and the recipient. My responses are general in nature. They do not constitute legal advice. You are advised to consult an attorney regarding this and any other legal matters.


It sounds like you need an advocate. I too recommend that you get a consultation with a lawyer to discuss the case in greater detail.


Generally there are two kinds of evaluations that can be requested in a custody case. You can request that their be a custody evaluation which would involve an evaluation of you and your spouse and possibly meetings with the children depending on their ages. At the end of a custody evaluation the evaluator will issue a report and state their recommendation for a custody schedule. You can also ask the Court to Order an individual medial examination of your spouse if you believe their to be significant mental health issues. In each case, a motion needs to be presented to the Court to make the request. You should consult with an attorney to see how to go about making such a request.