Skip to main content

How to reopen or appeal a case?

Philadelphia, PA |

I was convicted of stalking and harassment 2 years ago . I was under the influence of PCP when I was arrested and incoherent when I was sentenced 1 - 23 months in jail . Now , about 2 years later I'm doing very well and have been clean since . My 12 month drug binge left me unable to represent myself in court and the judge buried me . I feel that harassment over the phone wasn't stalking , and I was made an example of by the court . My public defender just let me run my mouth , and say anything I wanted unannounced to the sober me . I know I can wait ten years to petition , but is there anything else I can do ?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

Unless you have new evidence that was not discoverable at the time of your plea, all time tables to appeal or otherwise challenge what occurred have expired. At a future time you can attempt to petition for a pardon.


Your question is not very clear, but there does not appear to be anything you can do a this point-two years later. Maybe I of my colleagues will have a suggestion for you. I also don't know what petition you think you can file after ten years.



Petition the governor for a chance for forgiveness, so I can try and expunge my conviction. I just didnt know that harrassment over the phone was stalking. I'm upset that no one could tell I was insane at the time. I knew this question was a long shot, thanks for your help.


I’m not certain from where the ten year timetable is derived. If you are trying to file a petition for post conviction relief, you generally have one year from the date of judgment. Appeals are often shorter, normally 30 days from the Final Order.
Stew Crawford, Jr., Esq.

Crawford Law Firm
A Full Service Law Firm Serving New Jersey & Pennsylvania

223 North Monroe Street
Media, Pennsylvania 19063 (Philadelphia Area)


All information provided in this comment is intended for informational purposes only and does not, by itself, create an attorney client relationship. If you wish to consult with an attorney, or have any questions concerning this comment, please feel free to contact our offices through any of the above contact sources.


You have missed the deadlines to appeal or file for reconsideration. Congratulations on rehabilitating yourself. Keep up the good work.