How to renew a work permit? When can we travel? Is it normal not to hear a lot back fro immigration? How long until he is a citz

Houston, TX |

My husband and I have been married for 2 years. We have already started the citizenship process. He was never in the states illegally he was here with his mother that has a working visa and is an ESOL teacher. He has a work permit but its about to expire. He has also received his green card. He has 2 former drug charges (possession of marijuana) misdemeanors that he received when he was 17 and 19 they both were deferred adjudications. Would he have the risk of not getting let back into the country if we traveled abroad? Does he need a pardon from a judge?

With so many and such varied questions each requiring detailed replies, your best option is to directly contact an immigration attorney for a personal consultation since this site is only designed for very general, free guidance.

This advice does not form an attorney-client relationship and is merely informative. It should not by itself be relied upon to address a legal concern.

It is unbelievable that you do not have an attorney for this case, or if you do, that you have not asked him or her. I am surprised he has not been arrested already.

Why would he have been arrested already?

Please note that once someone obtains a green card, they no longer need a work permit. The green card itself gives the holder legal authorization to work in the U.S. That being said, there are other issues present in your case. You need to seek legal counsel before you and your husband travel outside the U.S.

This answer is provided for informational purposes only; it does not create an attorney-client relationship or otherwise require further consultation.

Thank you so much that's one of the things we were confused with!

Racheal P. Fuller

Racheal P. Fuller

You are very welcome but please, please, please make an appointment to sit down with an immigration attorney. Good luck!

I promise that is what we r doing this week. We had an immigration lawyer but he was not very helpful unfortunately we lost a lot of money and received very vague answers! Thank u again!

Racheal P. Fuller

Racheal P. Fuller

Happy to help:) Make sure you do your research before handing over your hard earned money again. Lucky for you, there are many great immigration attorneys in the Dallas area. Best of luck!

If your husband leaves the country he will be found inadmissible upon return. Even though he got a deferred adjudication on the criminal case it does effect his immigration status. This is a very sensitive matter and I would definitely consult with an immigration lawyer who knows both criminal law and immigration law to get the best advice. I would not leave the country without speaking to a lawyer.