Skip to main content

How to renew a work authorization permit for political asylum applicant?

Philadelphia, PA |

I moved my political asylum case to another state and received another court date in October but my present work permit is expires in June. How should I renew it?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


Ask your attorney - you may be eligible to file another I-765.

VOSBIKIAN & VOSBIKIAN, L.L.C. (856) 755-1400, e-mail: - Offices in Atlantic City, Cherry Hill, Newark, and Trenton, NJ. Please consult with a licensed immigration professional to provide you with a thorough legal advice. This response is not a substitute for specific legal advice and it should not be construed to create an attorney-client relationship. Please visit and share this site:


By filing an I-765

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


If you aren't going to use an attorney, you need to follow the online I-765 directions very carefully when you try to renew your work permit.


Ask your attorney. You have the right to file for the extension of your EAD months prior to its expiration. Just make sure the the EAD extension application will be fi,d with the right USCIS Service Center if you changed to another state.

Behar Intl. Counsel 619.234.5962 Kindly be advised that the answer above is only general in nature cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. It is your responsibility to retain a lawyer to analyze the facts specific to your particular situation in order to give you specific advice. Specific answers will require cognizance of all pertinent facts about your case. Any answers offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship.


File a renewal I-765 three to four months before your current work permit expires with the appropriate fee and documents evidencing eligibility for work authorization. If you filed the first one, the renewal is likely to be quite similar, but requires a fee this time (or a fee waiver application - Form I-912, if you qualify for that). Beyond pointing you to the instructions for the I-765 (and instructions for form I-912 if appropriate), there is not much more that can be said to answer your question. If you run into problems and/or have additional questions, it is likely you would need to retain an attorney to assist you as it gets really close to legal advice. If you are low income, you may be able to find assistance with a local are legal aid and/or similar non-profit offering free/low fee immigration legal services to the low income community in your area (such as Catholic Charities, Church World Service, International Rescue Committee, etc.). Good luck!