Skip to main content

How to reduce or get rid of a judgement?

Las Vegas, NV |

I have a judgement on my credit that my ex-roomate took me to court over. Throughout the time we were living together he Never paid rent so I decided to move out 2 months prior to the lease ending. He ended up suing me for those 2 months which was about $3,200. I have all the checks in my name for the full amount of rent but since we both were on the lease together the judge determined that I should pay half. If possible, how would I be able to lower the debt? I heard I could negotiate with the other party to lower the amount owed.?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


The best way is to send letter to all the credit bureaus explaining them the situation and providing them with the documentary proof. Once you establish that, it would improve your credit score. Further, see if this judgment is more than 5 years old, and can be taken out of the credit reports. A debt can always be negotiated. Pick up the phone and call the last debt collection agency, and propose to them a very small amount. They would always counter it. You can improve your initial offer, and then negotiate it. Finally, one of you would blink. Best thing is always to see an attorney, they know all these tactics, especially the licensed one.

Only see a licensed attorney before you make any decision. This answer may not be perfect in any given situation.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer