Skip to main content

How to reduce my restitution amount? How do I get a reasonable restitution payment plan base on my current ability?

Monrovia, CA |

I have almost half million restitution fee. CDCR and FTB added 10% and 18% collection fee, additional interest will keep going. FTB ask me to pay off within 10 days before they take legal action!!! The restitution that I owned is to pay Med-cal for hospital expense of my victim. My conviction finding from jury was not based on the fact. After I released from prison in very short period, my restitution already automatically increased 28% for collection fee. I am a single mother who has one child. How could I restart my new life, and provide my child a positive life support? Where is a little hope for me to pay the restitution base on my ability without my life and my child's life be destroyed? Thank you for answer my question, your help means a lot to me.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


Sadly your life, the life of your family, the victim, and their families’ lives will forever be negatively impacted by your actions. I do not know what you did to cause half a million dollars in restitution but I am sure the victim would rather have this never happen to them than have the money. If you feel the restitution amount is incorrect you are entitled to a restitution hearing. Understand that it is a double edged sword and the amount could decrease or increase.
Robert Driessen

Mr. Driessen is a former Deputy DA in Orange County with over 8 years of criminal law experience. Nothing stated on this site shall in anyway be construed as legal advice, or as creating any attorney client relationship. If you would like to hire Mr. Driessen, feel free to contact him at



Mr. Robert Laurens Driessen: I am so grateful and appreciate your answer, and your valuable time. With my highly respect, I would thanks a million for your help

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer