HOW TO RECOGNIZE AN ANTI FRAUD SITUATION?

Buffalo, NY |

A LAWYER NAMED JOHN FOTIADIS IS ASKING ME TO COME TO UNITED KINGDOM TO SIGN GOVERNMENT CHARGES FOR A DYING PERSON NAMED AS MRS SARAH MORGAN WHO HAS SELECTED ME AS HER BENEFICIARY.

Filed under: Fraud

You should speak to an attorney and use common sense. Provide all the documentation and pay to have it properly checked out. If you got this just by email, it is almost certainly a scam. If you got this some other way, having your attorney contact the contact person is a great idea. Plus, unless you knew "Mrs. Sarah Morgan" in the UK, are from the UK, have some connection with the UK, or Mrs. Sarah Morgan is on your family tree somewhere, it is extremely unlikely that this is actually true. Generally, dying people do not leave money to random persons they don't know. Contact an attorney if you are really interested.

Soundd like a scam. Do you know Mrs. Morgan?

I am a former federal and State prosecutor and have been doing criminal defense work for over 16 years. I was named to the Super Lawyers list as one of the top attorneys in New York for 2012 and 2013. No more than 5 percent of the lawyers in the state are selected by Super Lawyers. Martindale-Hubbell has given me its highest rating - AV Preeminent - in the areas of Criminal Law, Personal Injury, and Litigation. According to Martindale-Hubbell”AV Preeminent is a significant rating accomplishment - a testament to the fact that a lawyer's peers rank him or her at the highest level of professional excellence." Fewer than 8% of attorneys achieve an AV Preeminent rating. I also have the highest ranking – “superb” – on Avvo. The above answer, and any follow up comments or emails is for informational purposes only and not meant as legal advice.

This is likely a scam. Print your e-mails and phone records with these people and file a complaint with the US Attorney's office in Buffalo.

The foregoing is not legal advice nor is it in any manner whatsoever meant to create or impute an attorney/client relationship.