Skip to main content

How to pay for attorneys?

Houston, TX |

I am going through a bitter divorce, the judge gave my wife full control over all finances and the income generating company I owned and operated for 30 years. I was locked out of all my accounts and awarded minimal spousal support (the company generates very good revenue). My first attorney billed me upwards of 75k then withdrew because he wasn't getting anywhere with the case (I paid him so it wasn't for failure to pay) however, I have now retained a new attorney and am broke unless he gets me my company back or he fights for his fees from the other side. He says he will not proceed (he hasn't done anything of substance yet) unless I pay him another retainer. Am I screwed? Do I hire a pro bono attorney? are there legal loans I can get?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4


You will need a lawyer. Your case sounds complicated and I would not suggest going solo. I also doubt there will be too may lawyers who will take a bitter divorce case pro bono. I'd suggest coming up with a way to get money for a retainer and then enter negotiations knowing that the less you compromise the higher your fees will end up being. Good luck.

Avvo answers are not substitutes for the educated opinion of a lawyer who knows the facts of your particular case and should not be relied upon as such. My answer to you did not create an attorney-client relationship. James J Bagley Whaley, Bowie and Bagley LLC Providence, RI 401 454 7700


Can't your attorney peition the court for fees from your spouse since she is controlling the assts and the company?



I recommended he do so as my wife's attorney did prior to awarding her the company and the finances...He said he's not going to do that, and seeing as I have no "real" income I doubt many financial institutions will loan me money.


I can't tell you very much with the info you have given me. For example, what are the liquid assets that exist?

You won't find a pro bono attorney for your case. You are going to have to either:

1. borrow money somehow to get an attorney into Court to get some fees;
2. find an attorney willing to take on the case without a retainer in hopes of getting interim fees.

The most important question is the first one.

This information is not legal advice and does not form an attorney-client relationship.


$75,000 is a lot of money to pay someone and then they withdraw. You have had bad luck so far with the local "high dollar" family law bar. Now you need to hire someone who goes to court everyday and will fight for you. I will be in the office Saturday.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer