Skip to main content

How to legally/officially disown and remove self from family of origin

Renton, WA |

Need to ensure a no contact situation with my parents and sibling (sister). There has been a lot of long-term strife, verbal abuse, etc. from both these individuals that I can no longer psychologically handle. Should I file a no contact or restraining order against these individuals?

Also we (wife and I) do not have a will as yet and need to ensure that should anything happen to us simultaneously my family does not acquire our assets. What is the best way to make sure no one in my family has any influence or ability to be involved in our estate?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


There are two issues; (1) contact with your family (that you clearly do not desire). If they are insisting on unwanted contact, you should consider an Anti-Harassment Order. This can be done in District Court.
(2) "Disowning" your family. Get a will done immediately. You should consult with an attorney and not just use an internet form if you wish to achieve your goal.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer