How to I resolve a probation violation warrant?

Warsaw, IN |

I was pregnant and ended up homeless, and could only move in with my mom, which is out of state. (It was either that, or the street, I had no support system, and the PO I had wouldn't help.) The charges to which I took a plea in Florida were for grand theft, a class C felony. I financially cannot afford to go back to Florida; literally, I have like two dollars to my name and no means to go back. This is the only place, here with my mother, that I had left to go. I'm completely willing to serve probation here, but both Florida and Indiana have given me the runaround as to how to do that. What do I do?

Contact the public defender's office in Florida where the case is

No legal advice is given here. My responses to questions on Avvo are never intended as legal advice and must NOT be relied upon as if they were legal advice. I give legal advice ONLY in the course of a formal attorney-client relationship. Exchange of information through Avvo's Questions & Answers forum does not establish an attorney-client relationship with me. That relationship is established only by joint execution of a written agreement for legal services. I am only licensed in the States of California and New York and the District of Columbia

Grand theft is a felony of the third degree, usually, but it could be a second or even first degree felony, depending upon the facts. Florida does extradite for felonies, and your best bet is to retain a criminal defense attorney in FL. There are no class c felonies in FL. If you are arrested on the open warrant that is surely active, you will be held for up to 30 days while FL decides whether to come and get you. Then you will be transported to FL, and that can take months, in the back of a filthy van. Rather than have this haunt you for the rest of your life, you should take care of it now. With a privately retained attorney in FL, there is much that can be done for you, depending upon the prosecutor and the judge, and we even are able to enter a plea in abstentia in many cases. You would want to have probation in IN. It all depends upon a thorough investigation of the facts and circumstances. That is what you get when you hire a private attorney. The first task is to see if the case can be dismissed or the evidence suppressed. That not being possible would lead to the second task of negotiating an acceptable agreement. And that not being possible, the third task would be to try the case and win.

R. Jason de Groot, Esq. We do not have an attorney-client relationship. I am not your lawyer. The statements I make do not constitute legal advice. Any statements made by me are based upon the limited facts you have presented, and under the premise that you will consult with a local attorney. This is not an attempt to solicit business. This disclaimer is in addition to any disclaimers that this website has made. I am only licensed in Florida.

I appreciate your advice. It's the third degree, I think, it's not higher than that. I've never been in trouble before this and honestly didn't know how to handle it.

Robert Jason De Groot

Robert Jason De Groot

You need to save up some money to get an attorney to handle this situation. You could be arrested anytime, anywhere after being merely stopped for the silliest of reasons.

Right. That's the course of action I'm taking. Thank you so much.