Skip to main content

How to I get a divorce in ct with little or no cost involved?

Bridgeport, CT |
Attorney answers 2


The least expensive way to get divorced is to do it yourself.

If you were considering a home improvement project, you might find that the do it yourself approach is cheaper, but you would have to consider whether you were competent to do the work. Otherwise, there are dangers. This is also true of divorce.

If you are economizing because you have little or no assets, DIY may be appropriate. Beware proceeding against a person with an attorney, she or he will have an advantage. If there is debt to split, a lawyer may again be necessary and will always be helpful. It would be a good idea to consult with an attorney before filing the final agreement and going to judgment. Have the lawyer review the paperwork. The lawyer can confirm that you understand the agreement and the consequences of the wording.

There are people who will help in the Court Services office in most Superior Courthouses.

Here are two links to publications from the Connecticut Judicial Branch that may help.

I hope you find my response to be helpful and informative. If you do, please click the thumbs up icon. If this is your question and you find my answer to be the most helpful, please click best answer. I appreciate feedback.

My answer is not legal advice and does not establish a client/attorney relationship. It is impossible to give complete advice without having a thorough discussion of the facts because the question may not be a complete or accurate description of the problem and there is no chance to ask a follow up question. Laws are different from jurisdiction to jurisdiction and frequently change. So, please, do not act on any information provided without consulting with a lawyer licensed to practice in your jurisdiction who has experience with the kind of issues that concern you.


Most courts have forms online and a person at the court who will assist you in completing the forms and you can usually ask for a fee waiver of court fees if you can't afford them. Lawyers will give a first consultation for free and may be able to help you if you can't afford to hire them. Many do pro bono work. Call your state bar or county bar association and ask for a list of attorneys who do pro bono work or for the name of a local legal aide society.
Disclaimer: It is impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive legal consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue. Consequently, this response does not constitute or establish an attorney-client relationship but is offered for general informational purposes only. Laws differ from state to state and each case turns on facts specific to the case and parties thereto, thus this answer does not constitute legal advice, and should not be relied upon as anything more than a starting point or suggestion that the questioner seek professional assistance from a practitioner in your state or county/parish, practicing in your area of law.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer