How to handle a default judgement?

Dallas, TX |

I rcvd a defualt judgement, that i cannot pay. I own a home and a rental property. Both propertys have no equity in them. can they make me sell the rental property? Or can they take any other assests from me?

What is the default judgment for? When did you get it?

These comments are made for educational purposes only and do not constitute legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists between us.

Keep in mind that Texas is an extremely debtor friendly state. Nobody gets your house except the bank and the IRS. Nobody gets your car except the lender and the IRS. Nobody gets your wages except the IRS and child support. Nobody gets your pension/retirement except the IRS.

HOWEVER, a judgment is good for 10 years and can be renewed. Also, the judgment is accruing interest and is being reported to the credit bureaus.

It is possible that the judgment creditor is filing an abstract of judgment and looking through the county tax records to find whether you have any non-exempt property which you do. You need to contact an attorney soon because there may be procedural means to get the default judgment thrown out. If not, it is almost always possible to negotiate installment payments.