Skip to main content

How to get temporary custody in georgia

Chattanooga, TN |

the mother is in jail for charges related to abandonment and neglect. the child is now a legal resident of tennessee and living with her father but since the incident occurred in georgia we must fight in georgia. we need to get custody without a lot of cost and without representation if at all possible since we haven't been able to find any legal aid agencies that help in domestic cases.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


I understand the need to find a way to handle these matters "without a lot of cost and without representation"; however, in order to have the greatest likelihood of success, you really need an attorney. If DFCS is involved, they will have an attorney. The child's father will most likely have an attorney. You will be at a significant disadvantage if you do not have a lawyer. Any information you can obtain from forums like this will only serve you until you get into court. Once in court, things will change rapidly. Without knowledge of the law and the court's procedure, you will find it very difficult to achieve the outcome you desire.

I know this is not the information you wanted to hear, but it is the best answer to your question.

The comments provided are for informational purposes only and NOT FOR THE PURPOSE OF PROVIDING LEGAL ADVICE. Actual legal advice can only be provided after consultation by an attorney licensed in your jurisdiction. You should contact your attorney to obtain advice with respect to any particular issue or problem. Use of and access to any responses contained within this site do not create an attorney-client relationship between The McCrory Firm, nor any of its attorneys, and the user or browser. The opinions expressed at or through this site are the observations of the individual author and may not reflect the opinions of the firm or any individual attorney. Mr. McCrory is licensed to practice law in the states of Georgia and Tennessee with offices in both states. He is similarly authorized to handle matters involving the IRS throughout the United States. He is a member of the bar of the United States Supreme Court, the Sixth and Eleventh Circuit Courts of Appeal, the United States Tax Court and all federal courts in Tennessee and Georgia. He can be reached by phone at (703) 879-8330 or by email at

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer