Skip to main content

How to get Spousal support?

Bronx, NY |

Foreigner,married to UScitizen/10 months/ ,no job,no income yet.still waiting green card. abusive husband,if i want to divorse him,how i get spousal support? He never gives me any money,we dont have shared account, his house and car everything is in his sole properties, taxes he filed for him.I have no one here, and need ticket ti g back to home country , or stay separetly from him and find job,establish my life back .. ... pls help

+ Read More

Attorney answers 5


You need a family attorney as well as an immigration attorney. You may be able to obtain a green card based on the abuse that you suffered under VAWA.

(213) 394-4554 x0 Mr. Shusterman is a former INS Trial Attorney (1976-82) with over 35 years of immigration experience. His response to your question is general in nature, as not all the facts are known to him. You should retain an attorney experienced in immigration law to review all the facts in your case in order to receive advice specific to your case. Mr. Shusterman's statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship.


I agree with my colleague. Schedule a consultation with a local family lawyer and a local immigration lawyer to evaluate your options.


Hire a family law attorney.


Here in NYC we have many good attorneys. If you are an immigrant, some practice both immigration and family law. All you have to do is look. Select an attorney and contact them directly. AVVO will not resolve your problems not will it provide you with a specific consultation on your case. Not because we do not want to, but because we cannot within the boundaries of this forum.

NYC EXPERIENCED IMMIGRATION ATTORNEYS; email:; Phone: (866) 456-­8654; Fax: 212-964-0440; Cell: 212-202-0325. The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter.


If you have an immediate need for spousal support, you may file for same in Family Court. If you're looking to terminate the marriage, you may also request alimony (i.e., maintenance) within the divorce case itself. To get an estimate of what you'd receive, use the following calculator: You should also schedule a consultation with a Bronx Divorce attorney.

* If you found my answer to be "HELPFUL," or the "BEST ANSWER," please feel free to mark it accordingly.