Skip to main content

How to get my property without paying the storage facility fees? Ex husband did not pay bill and would not give me the key.

Bessemer, AL |

Notified his lawyer that I wanted my property from storage and needed a key. He said he would tell him. He ended up not providing the key and after divorce said that he lost the key. Contacted the storage owner explaining were going through a divorce that I wanted my property and even said that I would rent another unit to put my property in under my name. He said OK and advised he had one vacant across from the unit. Now still trying to get my property but now they are going to auction it off and saying the fees have to be paid because he quit paying the bill. I did not have any control or access to get my property. How can I be held responsible for paying the bill when my ex is denying me access to my own property? How can I get my property or stop the auction of my property?

+ Read More

Attorney answers 1


This should, and may have been, covered in your Divorce Decree regarding who pays for what debts and return of your personal property. Unless Storage company was a 3rd Party to your Divorce case (extremely rare), it is Not bound by the Divorce Decree. So, to stop the sale of your property I believe you may have to pay the bill (settle with Storage Co) and then go after your Ex in Divorce Court. Sitting on your property rights until after the Divorce became final is likely going to cost you more now, than before.

No attorney-client relationship exists or is created by the answering of questions on Avvo or by any email communications resulting from Avvo unless and until a written contract creating such a relationship is executed by both the attorney and the client.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer