Skip to main content

How to find out if I am divorced and get my divorce certificate?

Atlantic City, NJ |

I got married in 2003 in state of Georgia. A year later my wife left and I received divorced papers from state of Alabama(don,t remember the city). I signed them and sent them back. I never received any other mail or divorced certificate. How I can find out if I am divorced ? Now i live in NJ.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 4

Best Answer

I'd start here - . They should be able to look up your name in the statewide system, then direct you to the county where your divorce was entered, who can probably instruct you on how to get a certified copy. If it's like NJ, it'll probably involve writing a letter and sending a $5 fee (or whatever) for a certified / gold seal copy.

The above is said without seeing your case file and without my understanding the entirety of the facts of your case. Depending on those facts, the above information be may incomplete or may be completely inaccurate. The above is intended as general information only based on what you described and not as legal advice. I advise you to consult with counsel who may be able to provide better information commensurate with a better understanding of your situation.


If you could remember the name of the County where you filed for divorce in Alabama, it would be very easy to find these records. You would simply need to call the Clerk's Office for that particular County in Alabama, and give the clerk your full name and date of birth. If you can't recall the specific County where the divorce took place, you may be able to locate the information on a statewide computer database. Most states maintain a legal database that allows people to find cases by typing in their full names and date of birth. You could possibly start with a County Clerk's Office in the region where you believe the divorce may have been filed. The Clerk's office may be able to give you some suggestions for statewide electronic databases that you could check. Also, you could always hire a lawyer in Alabama who could locate this information for you.


May I also suggest that you contact your ex-wife and request a copy that she has. With the information you obtain from those copies you can then follow the previous contributor's suggestion and obtain an exemplified copy from the Court. I know in New Jersey in uncontested cases the other party is still entitled to a Divorce Judgment with the Court's seal.
Good Luck.

IMPORTANT LEGAL NOTICE: The response to the question posted is not legal advice and it does not create an attorney-client relationship. The response is intended as general information based upon the facts stated in the question, and is provided for educational purposes of the public, not any specific individual. The response given is based upon the limited facts provided by the person asking the question. To the extent additional or different facts exist, the response might possibly change. Responses are based solely upon New Jersey law.


They will be on file with the clerk in the court in the county in alabama in which the papers were filed. If you remember where your wife lived in AL, you can just google the county, call the supreme court clerk's office to get your info. Obviously, if you can get the "case number" for the divorce from your records or from your wife, that will expedite the process. Lots of luck, ERic

Mr. Reimer is licensed to practice law in NJ and NY. His response here is not legal advice and does not create an attorney/ client relationship. The response is in the form of legal education and is intended to provide general information about the matter in question. Many times the questioner may leave out details which would make the reply unsuitable. Mr. Reimer strongly advises the questioner to confer with an attorney in their own state to acquire more information about this issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer