Skip to main content

How to find/check if I am out of status or not?

San Jose, CA |

Is there any site/phone number where I can connect/call to find my current status?


+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


No. Usually this will come up at a Consulate abroad when you apply for a visa and the CO will determine whether you failed to maintain status.

This response is general in nature and cannot be construed as legal advice, given that not enough facts are known. Any comments offered on Avvo are of a general nature only, and are not meant to create an attorney-client relationship. If you would like additional information based on this response, please contact my office at 510 657 7665 or 415 902 0832 to schedule a consultation.


No. You can speak with an immigration attorney about your specific facts and he/she can give you their opinion.

Wendy R. Barlow, Esq, The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., 111 Broadway, Suite 1306, New York NY 10006, (866) 456-­8654,, The information contained in this answer is provided for informational purposes only, and should not be construed as legal advice on any subject matter. No recipients of content from this answer, clients or otherwise, should act or refrain from acting on the basis of any content included in the answer without seeking the appropriate legal or other professional advice on the particular facts and circumstances at issue from a licensed attorney. Provision of information on this website does not create an attorney-client relationship between you and The Law Offices of Grinberg & Segal, P.L.L.C., nor is it intended to do so.


A person can check his/her I-94 (if he/she has one) to see how long he/she was authorized to stay in the U.S., but of course the I-94 doesn't account for any actions that the person may have taken to cause him/her to fall out of status.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer