Skip to main content

How to find a pro bona attorney to deal with the IRS and bankruptcy

Lexington, MA |

Basic information;

Lost business and home foreclosed about 4 1/2 years ago.
Moved to Europe with opportunity to try to start new business which failed.
Left behind debts with hope of one day repaying once new business started.
Have not filed income tax since 2006-7 and have had zero income since then.
December 2011 returned to States, flat broke, unemployed and homeless.
Wife now disabled.
How do I approach IRS? Should I file bankruptcy first?
Is it possible to find an attorney for a pro bono representation under these circumstances or at least be able to arrange payment after the mess has cleared and I return to work?

I appreciate any information and/or advice you may have to offer.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 3


You could try is connecting with a lawyer through the Massachusetts Bar Association's "Dial-a-Lawyer" program. It's only offered on the first Wednesday of every month between 5:30 and 7:30 pm (call 617-338-0610). You might not s;peak with a bankruptcy / tax expert on that call, but the attorney on the phone should have access to a listing of other potential resources for you beyond whatever help can be offered at that time.

You could also reach out to the Volunteer Lawyers Project in Boston ( or 617- 603-1700). The scope of matters they handle tends to be a bit broader than many other legal aid organizations (in your situation, for example, I believe they have attorneys who can help with bankruptcy issues). Again, if they can't help directly, perhaps they can put you in touch with another potential source.

Good luck.


It is difficult to answer about the best approach to the IRS or whether to file for Bankruptcy without more information. However, if you are seeking to locate pro bono or low cost attorneys, you may try some of the links below. The first is Greater Boston Legal Services. They offer services based upon income to 31 cities. However, your tag indicates you are currently in Lexington and GBLS offers services only to Lexington residents who are over the age of 60. They are a good place to start and perhaps may know of additional resources for you. The other two services are lawyer referral services. Specify your situation when you call and they may be able to direct you properly.

Greater Boston Legal Services

Boston Bar Association Lawyer Referral Services

Massachusetts Bar Association Lawyer Referral Service

Good luck.

My responses here are do not create an attorney-client relationship. My response is based upon the very limited details of the submitter and should not be regarded as legal advice. I am licensed to practice law only in Massachusetts and any information given is limited legal opinions based upon Massachusetts Law.


You can also try your local Legal Aid office since it sounds like you'd be eligible, although I doubt they handle cases like this with the IRS.

Avvo doesn't pay us for these responses, and I'm not your lawyer just because I answer this question or respond to any follow-up comments. If you want to hire me, please contact me. Otherwise, please don't expect a further response. We need an actual written agreement to form an attorney-client relationship. I'm only licensed in CA and you shouldn't rely on this answer, since each state has different laws, each situation is fact specific, and it's impossible to evaluate a legal problem without a comprehensive consultation and review of all the facts and documents at issue.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer