Skip to main content

How to fill in i-130 US petition for relative form appropriately?

Austin, TX |

I'm US citizen currently living abroad in Singapore filing I-130 for my spouse for an immigration visa. I'll be sending the application to Chicago Lockbox. My husband previously had a green card but has since expired 5 years ago.
Do I need to state his previous social security and alien registration numbers under information on spouse (under Question C9 & 10)? I'm afraid if I provide this information when it's unnecessary, it may delay the process and invite unnecessary questions from the consular officer.

+ Read More

Attorney answers 6


Absolutely you need to disclose his social security number if he has one as well as his A# and copy of his previous Resident Alien card. Add an addenedum to explain his abandonment of the presious Resident Alien card -- marriage didn't work out and he returned home or whatever.

Lynne R. Feldman, Attorney at Law
Concentrating in Immigration and Nationality Law
2221 Camino Del Rio South, Suite 201
San Diego, CA 92108
phone: (619) 299-9600, facsimile: (619) 923-3277

Formerly Adjunct Professor -- Immigration law
University of Illinois College of Law


Yes. Also be aware that you will need an established residence in the U.S. by the time you file the visa application with the NVC with the affidavit of support. Otherwise the visa may be denied.


You must answer all questions truthfully. Not doing so will cause problems and delays.

J Charles Ferrari Eng & Nishimura 213.622.2255 The statement above is general in nature and does not constitute legal advice, as not all the facts are known. You should retain an attorney to review all the facts specific to your case in order to receive advise specific to your case. The statement above does not create an attorney/client relationship. Answers on Avvo can only be general ones, as specific answers would require knowledge of all the facts. As such, they may or may not apply to the question.


You have to answer all the questions as accurately as possible.

This answer is of a general nature and should not be relied upon as final, nor is it intended as legal advice. Consult with a qualified attorney before making any legal decisions. Gen Kimura, (832) 247-6932.


Yes, you must answer all questions fully and honestly. It is necessary to provide the information asked.


Not only is honesty the best policy, it' s required on these forms. I don't see this as a reason to hold up processing of your case. As a colleague stated below, you will need to establish residency in the US prior to initiating the visa processing for this case.

Can't find what you're looking for?

Post a free question on our public forum.

Ask a Question

- or -

Search for lawyers by reviews and ratings.

Find a Lawyer